Russia is home to over 100 land and forest preserves and 40 national parks: some 2 % of Russia’s landmass, an area roughly the size of Belarus, itself of course, slated soon to become a Russian National Park
Day of Preserves and National Parks/День заповедников и национальных парков: Why I Am An Agoraphobic
Lucy Milne made two rather foolhardy bets last night over the sukiyaki and sushi. She bet 50 bucks that Hillary Clinton will absolutely be the next president of the United States. Not just the Democratic nominee, but President. I took that bet, and have already decided to invest the proceeds in Sarah Happ lip scrub, which […]
On one thing, at least, Vladimir Putin and I can agree: this week has been uphill work. In just seven, action-packed days, we’ve gone from Russia Redux to Russia Redundant. To recap: the harbinger of doom (dark figure skating costume; dark words) Evgeny Plushenko pulled out of the men’s short program, putting paid to any […]
Today is Valentine’s Day! Russians have taken to this holiday with gusto! You can’t move in Moscow today without tripping over something heart-shaped or red. St. Valentine was a Roman who performed the Christian marriage rite when Christianity was about as legal as gay marriage. He was imprisoned and…well, you know the […]
Readers, the Olympics are less than a month away! The eyes of the world will soon be trained on Russia! Be sure you aren’t caught out in your expert knowledge of Russian history and geography! So, how did you do? Are you a serf or a tsar? Admittedly, these are hard questions, but Russia Lite […]
Cabin Fever Strikes A sinus infection – I seem to get one each time I re-enter Russia after an absence of more than two weeks – has kept me indoors for a few days, resulting in an ancillary case of cabin fever. I’ve been a little too listless to work but alert enough to become […]
Day of the Bureau of Technical Inventory BTI/День инвентаризатора (День работника БТИ): HRH Updates His Dream Home
HRH and Jennifer dust off their Bureau of Technical Inventory documents for an apartment renovation that sounds so much better in French! Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home. ~ John Howard Payne Congratulations to all (and you are legion) the good people who work in the Bureau of Technical Inventory, known […]
Here’s one of the great unsolved mysteries of the universe: why does the Alumni Magazine get through the floundering Russian postal system with a regularity you can set your clock by, but The New Yorker almost never appears? Why isn’t it the other way round? Still, fresh reading material in Moscow should never be taken […]
Russians don’t go in for the notion of climate change, and given recent events, can we blame them? A few days shy of the official opening day of winter in Russia, the heaviest snowfall in fifty years blanketed the Moscow Region. It was, in the immortal words of the elderly Native American who comes to […]
Jennifer Eremeeva is an American writer, photographer, Russian historian, blogger, and humor and cooking columnist based in Moscow Russia. In addition to Russia Lite, Jennifer is the Creator & Curator of The Moscovore. Read More...
Russia Lite Newsletter
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Russian Interior Design: A Cautionary Tale 15/11/2011
- My Charter: Relevant for Your Monastery? 13/10/2010
- Russian Dolls…A New All-Time Low!! 28/08/2011
- Why I Hate Dachas, and You Should Too! 02/05/2010
- The “F” Words: More from the Expat Lexicon 02/06/2011
- Charge up your Light Brigades, Chaps! It’s Crimea 2.0! 28/02/2014
- Vladimir Putin’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week 21/02/2014
- Valentine’s Day/День Святого Валентина: Romance: A Primer 13/02/2014
- Test Your Knowledge of Russia — History and Geography 10/01/2014
- New Year’s/Новый год: Is This Christmas?? 30/12/2013
- Vladimir Putin’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week |: […] forget that Sunday is not only the closi...
- jennifer: Thank you, Irina! As you may know if you've read...
- Irina Mamantov: So true! I adore your writing Jennifer....
- Irina: VIcki - it's actually "sobutilniki"... "So" i...
- jennifer: Happy New Year to you! Hope you are enjoying the ...