“Of all the arts, for us, the most important is cinema.” ~Vladimir Lenin Today is the Day of Russian Cinema! Russians are really really really good at cinema and so, with that in mind, I’ve compiled a list of (my…read my…not yours) favorite Russian films. In no particular order, although I’m sure more than a [...]
“This is my well beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” -God The Father If you’ve ever thought about having a polar bear experience, this may be your lucky day! January 19th for Orthdodox Christians is Epiphany or Theophany, which commemorates the Baptism of Christ in the Jordan River by John the Baptist. Note [...]
8th of March was conceived as a day to celebrate equal rights for women. If Clara Zetkin and Rosa Luxumbourg could see what Russians get up to today, they’d be turning in their graves.
Tthis year, I promised myself I would master the art of the elusive Russian pancake in time for Maslenitsa. I rolled up my sleeves. I delved into 19the Century cookbooks. I cornered old women at the farmers’ market. I even contemplated calling my mother-in-law.
In Russia, they are still teaching Home Ec to the girls and Shop to the boys, with no reform in sight – and certainly not regarding the impending gender-specific public holidays.
So, you’ve succumbed to the inevitable temptation of working for a Russian company. Here are some helpful hints on how to recognize when they start to ease you out, using “The Red Handshake.”
Jennifer Eremeeva is an American writer, photographer, Russian historian, blogger, and humor and cooking columnist based in Moscow Russia. In addition to Russia Lite, Jennifer is the Creator & Curator of The Moscovore. Read More...
Russia Lite Newsletter
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Russian Interior Design: A Cautionary Tale 15/11/2011
- My Charter: Relevant for Your Monastery? 13/10/2010
- Russian Dolls…A New All-Time Low!! 28/08/2011
- Why I Hate Dachas, and You Should Too! 02/05/2010
- The “F” Words: More from the Expat Lexicon 02/06/2011
- Day of the Bureau of Technical Inventory BTI/День инвентаризатора (День работника БТИ): HRH Updates His Dream Home 21/05/2013
- The Domestic Goddess of the Green Line 14/03/2013
- Snow Tires for the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse 19/12/2012
- Mascot Mitt 20/11/2012
- Russia’s Undecided Voters or Banging the Drum in Ostozhenka 29/10/2012
- Katherine Dovlatov: The one that annoys me is "Sanks God" especially...
- M: hmmm... did you misquote Sarah Palin? http://...
- jennifer eremeeva: The years have taken their toll......
- Liz Lemon: I can't believe that the nicest apartment I visit...
- jennifer: Thank you Sashaa! I am so pleased you enjoy it -- ...