What is it about men and directions?
Russia’s legal beagles have to wear uniforms of a cheerful, but slightly effeminate blue, which may account for their zeal in coming down hard on the crowd that wants to hang out by the statue of Mayakovsky or buy Parliament.
Day of Russia’s First Naval Victory at Hanko Peninsula (1714)/День первой в российской истории морской победы русского флота у мыса Гангут (1714): Russia’s Spanish Armada
You have to hand it to the Russians, sometimes. Full marks for not giving up, where others might. In attempting to break through the Swedish lines, the Russians decided to drag their galleys across the peninsula on land, which can’t have been a walk in the park.
Day of Victory over the Swedes at Poltava / День воинской славы России — Полтавская битва (1709): The Peter (The Great) Principle
I was interested to read, recently that Peter The Great was not weaned until he was two years old, which, for me, explains volumes.
The Day of the Baltic Fleet/День Балтийского флота: The Double Glazing on Russia’s Window on The West
Russia’s oldest fleet sails through the turbulent waters of a changing map of Europe, and an American learns a new way to pronounce NATO.
Where would we be without our code crackers? Dan Brown, for one, would just be a geek in a turtleneck.
Jennifer Eremeeva is an American writer, photographer, Russian historian, blogger, and humor and cooking columnist based in Moscow Russia. In addition to Russia Lite, Jennifer is the Creator & Curator of The Moscovore. Read More...
Russia Lite Newsletter
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Russian Interior Design: A Cautionary Tale 15/11/2011
- My Charter: Relevant for Your Monastery? 13/10/2010
- Russian Dolls…A New All-Time Low!! 28/08/2011
- The “F” Words: More from the Expat Lexicon 02/06/2011
- Why I Hate Dachas, and You Should Too! 02/05/2010
- The Domestic Goddess of the Green Line 14/03/2013
- Snow Tires for the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse 19/12/2012
- Mascot Mitt 20/11/2012
- Russia’s Undecided Voters or Banging the Drum in Ostozhenka 29/10/2012
- Warming Up To Halloween 15/10/2012
- Pink Tights: Very nice post. Love your blog, big fan. Keep it c...
- Karen Percy: I don't really want to start.... because my ranti...
- Ven\'ka: I really did not want this article to end! Wonderf...
- jennifer: Thank you so much for your help in clarifying this...
- Snow Tires for the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse |: [...] awful condition; motorists hadn’t put on t...