8th of March was conceived as a day to celebrate equal rights for women. If Clara Zetkin and Rosa Luxumbourg could see what Russians get up to today, they’d be turning in their graves.
In the Putin era, the Guards are brought out of retirement, dusted off, and put to work again for the greater glory of Russia’s new empire: along with double-headed eagles, the Orthodox Church, money, and good old Russian excess.
The fact of the matter is, and no amount of Chekhov will convince me otherwise: this whole dacha thing is a well-oiled vehicle to keep female indentured servitude alive and well in the early 21st Century.
Jennifer Eremeeva is an American writer, photographer, Russian historian, blogger, and humor and cooking columnist based in Moscow Russia. In addition to Russia Lite, Jennifer is the Creator & Curator of The Moscovore. Read More...
Russia Lite Newsletter
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Russian Interior Design: A Cautionary Tale 15/11/2011
- My Charter: Relevant for Your Monastery? 13/10/2010
- Russian Dolls…A New All-Time Low!! 28/08/2011
- Why I Hate Dachas, and You Should Too! 02/05/2010
- The “F” Words: More from the Expat Lexicon 02/06/2011
- Day of the Bureau of Technical Inventory BTI/День инвентаризатора (День работника БТИ): HRH Updates His Dream Home 21/05/2013
- The Domestic Goddess of the Green Line 14/03/2013
- Snow Tires for the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse 19/12/2012
- Mascot Mitt 20/11/2012
- Russia’s Undecided Voters or Banging the Drum in Ostozhenka 29/10/2012
- jennifer eremeeva: The years have taken their toll......
- Liz Lemon: I can't believe that the nicest apartment I visit...
- jennifer: Thank you Sashaa! I am so pleased you enjoy it -- ...
- jennifer: It does! It so does!!! One day...when it is all ...
- jennifer: Thank you Moorea! Let's be in touch offline abo...